Broadband – Speed Test
To use this tester you must have Flash installed and enabled on your device.
Your broadband speed can be affected by a number of different factors including the technology used to deliver it to your premises and the type of connection you use to connect your device (PC, laptop, smartphone etc.) to your router / hub.
The speed test can be carried out on your device with any internet connection. However, in order to obtain an accurate figure you should carry out the following beforehand:
- Disconnect the LAN and any devices from the router.
- Plug your computer directly into the router on the broadband line to be tested via an Ethernet connection, not via a wireless or powerline adapter. (This test may not work on iPads / Tablets, smartphones or other mobile devices).
- Switch off any wireless adapter in your computer.
- Close any programs that may be running on your computer. This includes any background programs such as anti-virus software, corporate VPNs, peer2peer clients etc.
(Please ensure you re-enable any anti-virus software after you have finished testing).
- Reboot your modem/router by powering it off, waiting one minute, and then powering it up again. Wait for any lights on the router to stabilise before starting the test.
- Restart your browser.
- Ensure no other people or devices are using the broadband line to be tested.
- While the line is idle, using the browser, go to:
- Select ‘Begin Test’
- Wait for test to complete
- Make a note of the results
Please note, it can take up to 10 days following installation for your broadband line to train up to its full speed. Bear in mind that any speed test during this period may not reflect the true long-term speed of your broadband.